There are ten things which awaken Taqwa (Fear of Allah):
1. Fear of punishment in the next life;
2. Fear [of punishment] in this life;
3. Hope of worldly reward;
4. Hope of the reward of the next world;
5. Fear of the reckoning;
6. Shyness and bashfulness before the gaze of Allah, and this is the station of fearful watchfulness [muraqabah];
7. Showing gratitude for His blessings by obeying Him;
8. Knowledge, because of His words, “They only fear Allah, of His slaves, the ones who have knowledge”;
9. Exalting and honouring His majesty, and it is the station of awe;
10. Sincerity in love for Allah.
Source: Al-Kalbi, Ibn Juzayy. Kitabu-t Tashil li ‘Ulumu-t Tanzil. Trans. Abdassamad Clarke. Unpublished.