Qalb—The seat of faculty of understanding and knowledge
Allah Ta’ala says in the Qur’ân:
وَلَقَدْ ذَرَأْنَا لِجَهَنَّمَ كَثِيرًا مِنَ الْجِنِّ وَالْإِنْسِ لَهُمْ قُلُوبٌ لَا يَفْقَهُونَ بِهَا وَلَهُمْ أَعْيُنٌ لَا يُبْصِرُونَ بِهَا وَلَهُمْ آذَانٌ لَا يَسْمَعُونَ بِهَا أُولَئِكَ كَالْأَنْعَامِ بَلْ هُمْ أَضَلُّ أُولَئِكَ هُمُ الْغَافِلُونَ
“ Many are the jinns and men we have made for Hell. They have hearts where-with they understand not, eyes wherewith they see not and ears wherewith they hear not. They are like cattle -nay more misguided: for they are heedless (of warning)”. (7:179)
Here Allah Ta’ala once again clearly reveals that the seat of faculty of understanding is Qalb and those who do not make use of this faculty, they are as good as cattle.
Rabeea Al-Jurashi (RA) quotes Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) as saying:
“An angel came to him and said, "Let your eyes sleep, let your ears hear but your Qalb (heart) remain awakned”. (Mishkaat Sharief)
This is a vast subject, I would like to conclude it in the light of the Qur’ânic revelations and Ahâdith which I have quoted, the following conclusions become quite crystal clear to us:
1. Qalb is the seat of faculty of understanding and divine knowledge.
2. Qalb is the instrument which has been specially devised for receiving and appreciating the eternal light.
3. For proper understanding of the Qur’ân, a pure, live and properly functioning Qalb is needed.
4. The spiritual jewels have been kept hidden in darkness in the Qalb.
5. Blind Qalb can neither attain any spiritual height nor know the Reality.
6. To bring Qalb out of darkness so that it can utilise its higher faculties, a light is needed.
7. The light can be had from one and the only lamp and that is Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) .
8. In other words we can say understanding of the Qur’ân is the function of Qalb which is illuminated and the enlightened by the light of the lamp of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) , which makes it capable of receiving eternal light necessary for unraveling the spiritual truths.